A word from Reverend, Dr. Allison Byerley, Senior Pastor
In January, the Mariposa UMC leadership team met for a planning retreat. One of our most important activities was to set priorities for the church for 2019. There were four high priority goals identified:
- Improve our financial health
- Bring our leadership structure in line with our mission and vision
- Repair the deteriorating south wall of the sanctuary building
- Focus on evangelism.
Each of these goals has seen significant progress this year:
- Our treasurer Glenn Sutherland reports that we are in better financial health than we have been in a number of years, and we recognize that this is because so many of you have given sacrificially this year. Thank you!
- Our leadership team proposed a structure that supports our mission and vision and both the A Team and Council on Ministries have recommended its adoption. It will be reviewed at the joint meeting of the two groups in September and formally presented at our church conference on October 13th. You will find the proposed structure explained in this newsletter.
- Willy Rust developed and presented a plan to repair the south wall using the same wood that it was built with more than 50 years ago. He has worked hard to source it and control the final cost of the project, and we are deeply grateful for his efforts! You will find more information about the project, budget and how you can help in this newsletter.
- We have welcomed several new members this year and new individuals and families are worshiping with us. We also received a grant of $750 from the de-nomination for a full-page color ad in the Mariposa Gazette, which ran the last week of August.
As we approach the final three months of the year, we will continue to work on these goals, especially the South Wall Project
. Good things are happening at Mariposa UMC! Tell someone about it and invite them to come and see.